Support SaysBrad
    (Most Compact 20000mAh Portable Charger) Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with Most Powerful 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology
    Anker

This thing, you need. Run your smartphone for days.

Klear Screen iKlear Cleaning Kit for iPad, iPhone, Galaxy, LCD, Plasma TV, Computer Monitor and Keyboard (Cloth, Wipes and Spray)
    Klear Screen

I use this cleaner for my iPhone, iPad 3, iPad mini and MacBook Pro. It’s great all-around and won’t mess up the oleophobic coating on iOS device screens.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams
    Artic Silver

If you’re having problems with your Adonit Jot capacitive touch stylus or Hex3 Jaja, you can improve its performance and reliability with careful application of thermal paste! For more on this, check out my capacitive touch stylus how-to fix-it guide. Months later (Sep 2013), my styli are still performing great!

Adonit Jot Touch with Pixelpoint pressure sensitive stylus for iPad - Black
    Adonit

Adonit Jot with Pixelpoint, works with a lot of new drawing apps on iPad.

Klear Screen's iKlear 8 oz. Pump Spray Bottle 7351-IKHP, Others, Electronics & Computers
    Klear Screen

The stuff I use to keep my iPad screen nice and clean!

Cosmonaut: Wide-Grip Stylus for Capacitive Touch Screens
    Studio Neat

Awesome capacitive touch stylus created by Studio Neat. Great guys, great product. I use mine every day! Bradtastic Approved.

Adonit Jot Pro Stylus for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Other Touch Screens (ADJPG)
    Adonit

Adonit Jot Pro is an awesome capacitive touch stylus for iPad & other tablets.

Pencil by FiftyThree Digital Stylus for iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPad 3/4 - Walnut
    FiftyThree

Even if you consider yourself a casual doodler or note-taker, you’ll love this well designed stylus. Built for Paper by FiftyThree, the iPad app — however, many other apps support Pencil.

Bicycle Standard Index Playing Cards (Pack of 2)
    Sportsman Supply Inc.

Playing Cards for your password creation or poker game!

My Amazon.com Wish List
« 3 Best iPad Notes Apps | Main | iPad mini for artists »
Thursday
Nov082012

Fixing Adonit Jot and Hex3 Jaja Stylus

Adonit Jot not working properly?

Adonit claims that only 1% of their capacitive touch disc tip styluses have issues with skipping and contact. I've found that to be wholly inaccurate. Every Jot I have has had an issue.

The problem is likely a design flaw that they don't want to admit to. Capacitive touch styluses essentially trick the iPad into recognizing it as your finger. The way the iPad screen works is somewhat difficult to explain, but essentially, a conductive surface of about 6mm is what the iPad looks for.

Instead of the typical soft rubber tips, some styli use discs, like the Adonit Jot series: Mini, Pro, Flip, Touch. Other manufacturers use disc tips as well. The disc is plastic with a metal piece that touches a metal pen, with a small enough surface area to offer precision, and just barely large enough to be detected. In theory, this is great. In practice, well...

If your Jot isn't working properly, Adonit may send you new tips or a new pen. But you will probably have the same problem again.

The most common issue is skipping, where a continuous line drawn on the screen with the capacitive stylus, in this case Jot Pro, is broken into segments and dots. In addition, the stylus may not start a line where you intend, appearing several millimeters after you thought you were touching the screen.

Fear not. There's a cheap fix!

Conductive grease or thermal compound will most likely solve your problem. I improved my HEX3 Jaja the same way. I ordered Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 from Amazon. [Order yours! There's also a link in the sidebar. I get a small credit if you use it. Thanks!] Another brand may work just fine; electronics stores should carry it, places like Radio Shack — or a store that sells motherboards and processors should you want to pick it up at a retail location. Other Jot owners have tried this as well; I actually found this solution on the Adonit forums.

Step 1: Simply remove the disc from the Jot.

Adonit has a guide to replace a disc. Make sure the disc is clean!

Step 2: Place a dab of thermal compound paste on the disc.

You only need a small amount. Just take a tiny dab and put it in the hole where the Jot's ball tip inserts into the disc. You can also rub a thin coating around the ball tip. Afterward, reinsert, and make sure the disc is clean.

And that's it! Your stylus should work 100% better!

I hope I just helped you save your $25-100 stylus, and/or a month of dealing with customer service getting nowhere. I'm sure many frustrated Jot owners have given up on their styluses, so let them know about this!

Problems with Hex3 Jaja pressure sensitive stylus?

The Jaja tips are slightly different. The disc is attached to a 0.7mm metal rod that inserts into the Jaja stylus (or any 0.7mm mechanical pencil). From my experience, it isn't that responsive, and requires uncomfortable, firm pressure and a near vertical angle to work properly.

You can improve the Jaja significantly by adding a bit of thermal compound. Remove the tip, and place the disc on a flat surface. Rotate the metal rod to the side, and put a small amount of paste onto the ball. Next, twist the rod and rotate it in circles, spreading the paste around the part of the tip that holds the rod.

The thermal compound will improve the conductivity of the tip, and your capacitive touch stylus should now work with very little pressure!

Hopefully this helps! Let me know.

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (10)

This quick fix has been a great help. It does seem there will be a new tip coming out for the JaJa.https://getsatisfaction.com/hex3/topics/important_usage_note_jaja_tips

February 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlejandro

This trick worked really well for the Adonit jot pro too!

March 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM | Unregistered CommenterAndrea

This fix owed very well for fixing the tip it self ,though with in a few weeks another problem seems to have cropped up , the metal pin that's attached to the tip seems to not be marketing correct contact inside the pen , so the electrical current I sent sensed by the screen

If I pull the pin out and hold it with my finger the lines are flawless ,this leads me to think the issue ,or some of the issues are due to the pin not contacting the shaft wich houses the pin inside the pen , re seating the tip/pin inside the shaft may help for a short time but it will quickly have the problem agean. I have no solution and am in able to find information on exchanges or warranty .

March 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterJajauser

unfortunately as you must have realised yourself,this has a very short term effectiveness and after this, the tip becomes even less responsive than before application. Be more careful when passing on advice or youll be responsible for wasting peoples equipment, money and time. i will be trying the gosmart stylus replacement tip theory, costs a little more and stops the ball joint movement but supposedly resolves 100% of mark recognition issues.

April 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM | Unregistered Commenterhmm

Actually, my styli continue to work great. I've also experimented with the Arctic Silver 5 polysynthetic on my Jot Touch, applied once months ago and it still works perfectly.

I will be posting an Estylo wooden stylus review soon and an update for the Hand stylus and Cosmonaut for use with the iPad mini (mixed results) but I've been sick.

Also, no one else has mentioned to me the thermal paste as a temporary or short term solution that somehow worsens the capacitive touch after temporarily improving performance. You're the first so far here, and that sucks that it didn't work for you.

However, it continues to work for me, although I did reapply the Ceramique to the Jaja because it got some dirt in it. I cleaned it out with a toothpick and reapplied; good as new.

If my health permits in the near future, I'll post a video if I can figure out a way to make it look okay.

Also: I've heard good things about the GoSmart stylus and tips. I don't like their pen bodies, but people have applied the tips to the Jot. Personally, I like the Estylo for its lightweight design, the oStylus DOT for writing and design work, and the Jot Touch (usually with Bluetooth off) for sketching.

I also like the Hand stylus with the iPad 3, but not for the mini. The Cosmonaut is a comfortable outliner and Infinite Sketchpad brainstorm tool but it lacks the precision I like for apps such as Paper.

Finally, people should know that they mod equipment and tools at their own risk. I've simply passed on tips that worked for me; I posted that article in November and my tools still work great. Not sure what to say beyond that other than sorry it didn't work for you.

April 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM | Registered CommenterBradtastic

I've had good luck with this trick with my JaJa. In fact, it's the only reason I continue to use that abandoned mess of a stylus. I can at least get some consistent lines for awhile - I still have to reseat the tip occasionally, but it's much better than before using the Ceramique. I should've stuck with Adonit (though I can't use the new Jot with my iPad 2 and its aged BT spec.

May 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterMickey

Awesome! I tried with other brand's thermal paste, and my Adonit Jot Pro Dampening now works fluently with Nexus 7!

September 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM | Unregistered CommenterChanning

it really help me with my adonit stylus problem with ipad, thanks a dozen,
i got the compound from an old and forgoten main board, unplug the cpu chip, then touch the tip of the stylus ...@no cost :D
thx

December 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM | Unregistered Commenterbenni

I used a thermal compound on my jaja tip. It doesn't improve anything.

January 16, 2014 at 11:13 PM | Unregistered Commenter3322078

I used a thermal compound on my jaja tip. It doesn't improve anything.

I’m sorry to hear that. Of all of the styluses that I’ve used, I think the Jaja has the worst connectivity. I read somewhere that Hex3 was offering replacement tips for it, I think for free, for people affected by the issue, so you may want to look into that. I’ve decided that Bluetooth LE is the way to go, and have been super happy with my Pencil and Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus, even with the fat tips.

I think the new Jot Touch 4 is a lot better, but I only own the first edition model which works okay. I’m kind of waiting to see how the iPad develops, because the numerous iterations and changes have really mixed things up (example: The Hand works great on iPad full size, terrible on mini).

I’ve also been told that the current gen iPads, mini retina and iPad Air, have issues with pressure sensitivity. Unfortunately, the Apple Store models have Bluetooth stylus features disabled in Procreate and Paper.

January 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM | Registered CommenterBradtastic

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:

All HTML will be escaped. Textile formatting is allowed.